Long Weekend Libations
We may be all about women’s sports and staying healthy, but we also know that life is all about balance. And what’s a better way to unwind and relax than with a cocktail? Especially over a long-weekend!
Whether we’re relaxing on the sofa after a long week, or dancing on a table with our pals, you can bet that most of Team Glorious will be cheers-ing with a mixed libation in hand. We’re practically cocktail connoisseurs over here, so much so that we’ve even started our own Friday evening mixing club! Don’t worry though, we’re not saying you should go wild – we believe in everything in moderation. But hey, a little Sunday afternoon sip can never hurt, right?
So, let’s support the sisterhood by checking out some awesome female-founded alcohol businesses and enjoy a delicious cocktail guilt-free!
1. Graveney Gin is a small, local gin founded in 2015 by Victoria Christie. A truly handcrafted spirit, each batch is thoughtfully brewed using a small but perfectly formed 30L Copper Still (which produces 30 organic bottles per batch) in Tooting London. Graveney Gin also has a Gin Cocktail Bar and Bottle Shop in Tooting Market where they host a Gin Tasting Masterclass every Thursday night! Oh AND they donate 10% of their profits to a conservation charity that protects rare mountain gorillas in the Congo! Graveney Gin, Organic Gin 700ml – Handcrafted Gin, £40
Perfect for: Grapefruit Gin Fizz
50ml Graveney Gin Organic Gin
50ml Grapefruit Juice
50ml Tonic Water or Club Soda
2 Sprigs Rosemary
Grapefruit Slices to garnish
2. Nc’nean, a whisky brand founded by Annabel Thomas, is named after Neachneohain, the Queen of Spirits in Gaelic legend. Thomas’ goal was to challenge the traditional perceptions of Scottish whisky and create a product that could coexist in harmony with the planet. In 2013, she left her job in London and spent four years raising funds and constructing the distillery from scratch on the west coast of Scotland. Nc’nean began distilling in 2017, and in 2020 they introduced their first-ever organic single malt whisky to the market. NC’NEAN Organic Single Malt Whisky £59.95, 70cl
Perfect for: Classic Old Fashioned
60ml NC’NEAN Organic Single Malt Whisky
10ml 1:1 sugar syrup
3 dashes of Angostura Bitters
Lemon twist to garnish
3. Monica Berg is a multi-award-winning bartender and entrepreneur based in London. She co-founded the super cool Tayēr + Elementary Bar and has won more awards than we can count! Monica’s latest venture, Muyu, is a collaboration with De Kuyper Royal Distillers and two other bartending legends, Alex Kratena and Simone Caporale. They’ve created three liqueurs with natural ingredients, each designed by one of the trio. Our favourite is Monica’s concoction: Jasmine Verte, a fresh and floral mix with a green jasmine note, neroli, yuzu, and patchouli. Perfect for serious mixologists and adding a touch of elegance to your champagne! Muyu Jasmine Verte, £28.74 for 50cl
Perfect for: A Jazzy Highball
20ml Muyu Jasmine Verte
4. Caleño is a non-alcoholic spirits brand founded by Ellie Webb, who felt frustrated with the lack of fun options for non-drinkers during a night out. Inspired by her Latin roots after a trip to Colombia, Ellie infused the vibrant colours and tropical flavours of the country into her non-alcoholic spirits, resulting in Caleño. We’re big fans of their Dark & Spicy non-alcoholic tropical rum £18, 50cl and think it makes the perfect Pina Colada
Perfect for: Non-Alcoholic Pina Colada
50ml Caleño Dark & Spicy
80ml Coconut Milk
80ml Pineapple Juice
15ml Lime Juice
Fresh Pineapple to Garnish
5. More of a wine-lover? Commuting to family this long-weekend? Mixing a cocktail on one’s lap is not ideal. Step forward NICE. NICE is an independent Future Wine Company based in the UK, founded by Lucy Wright and Jeremy May in 2019. Their focus is on prioritising the consumer experience, which is a relatively new concept within the wine industry. Their aim is to make the ‘Nicest’ possible ways to wine accessible to everyone, regardless of their level of expertise. The NICE team lives by the principle of “lead and never follow,” and they are not afraid to shake up the wine industry with a fresh approach – while sporting pink jumpsuits, of course.As for their wine selection, NICE offers Sauvignon Blanc, Pale Rosé, and Argentinian Malbec, all available in convenient cans. NICE’s philosophy is to remove the intimidation factor often associated with wine, and to provide wine that can be enjoyed on the consumer’s terms, at any time. Not sure what to go for? NICE Mixed Case (six cans), £20
Perfect for: The Train Journey
1 can of Argentinian Malbec
Loud fellow commuter to garnish
Team Glorious x
N.B. Glorious is not affiliated with any of these brands and does not receive any monetary gain by featuring them – we just love their booze! As always, we recommend drinking in moderation and are not responsible for your hangovers!